Visit Belfast and Belfast City Council have launched an ambitious new partnership with Green Tourism to position Belfast as a leader in sustainable tourism and support our partners to recover and grow.
Improving the city’s sustainability credentials will be key to securing business in the new normal, and only by working together as an industry can we position Belfast as a leading sustainable destination and rebuild the region’s visitor economy.
In June 2021, Visit Belfast gained a bronze accreditation with Green Tourism, demonstrating the organisation’s commitment to sustainable and inclusive growth.
“As the City’s Destination Marketing Organisation, we know that improving our sustainability credentials will be key to securing fresh business in the new normal. That’s why securing an independent, third party accreditation from a recognised authority is so important.
“We have a bold ambition – to have 50% of our tourism and hospitality businesses committed to going for a Green Tourism Award , supporting a green recovery and positioning Belfast as a sustainable destination.”
Gerry Lennon, Chief Executive of Visit Belfast
Green Tourism partnership
Visit Belfast partners within the Belfast City Council area can now avail of the opportunity to join Green Tourism free of charge and secure an internationally recognised Green Tourism Award, thanks to funding and support by Belfast City Council.
Securing the Green Tourism Standard, the largest and most established sustainable certification programme in the world, will help attract new business from consumers and clients who are increasingly seeking out destinations and businesses with strong sustainable and ethical credentials.
It will not only benefit your business, but will also help Belfast enhance its position in an increasingly competitive marketplace. You can find out more about the scheme below, including how to register.
Visit Belfast partners in the Belfast City Council area can apply now to secure your place on the scheme.
While the scheme is currently only available to partners within the Belfast City Council area, any partners outside the Belfast City Council area can register their interest via email: email@example.com
How to register
- Go to Green Tourism’s dedicated Belfast webpage
- Scroll down to ‘Apply now’
- Select ‘Visit Belfast’ on the campaign drop down box on the registration form
- Select ‘Pay by Invoice’ which will generate an invoice for £0 for year one but is required for registration of the scheme
- Sign up now to save £225 – £775 in year one (depending on business type) and benefit from 50% discount on year two and 25% discount on year three memberships.
- Demonstrate your commitment to sustainability with an internationally recognised standard, and improve your attractiveness amongst consumers, tour operators and event organisers
- Access free expert advice and support from Green Tourism to improve your business
- Improve sustainability performance in your organisation and prove your credentials to visitors and buyers
- Green Tourism assessment is a straightforward online process where you can complete the assessment on the GreenCheck tool, at your own pace and your own time
- Achieve an accredited Green Tourism Award at bronze, silver or gold level.
In June 2021, Visit Belfast and Belfast City Council officially launched the Green Tourism scheme at our “Sustainable Belfast” event. You can re-watch the event below, and hear from Belfast City Council’s Climate Commissioner, Green Tourism, the Global Destination Sustainability Index, Glasgow Convention Bureau and more.